Monday, April 26, 2010

Interlachen

A quick check in after 2.5 days and 3 night on the Land Between the Lakes, mostly in Kentucky, but a smidge in Tennessee. I'm sure the area sees crowds on sunny summer days, but this time of year, with lots of rain over the weekend, it way a lot of desolate wilderness. I spend the whole day of Saturday without more human contact than waves to/from the few cars I passed on a road ride. (Of note, that day I was caught out in an electrical storm but found ideal shelter in the form of a yet-to-be-installed metal culvert at a road construction site.) Sunday was a little more familiar when I mountain biked up the North-South Trail to the Canal Loop where, guess what, a mountain bike race was being held. The marshalls had no problem with me jumping in, so I rode the 11 mile lap while bringing back all sorts of racing memories. All told, it was a 60 mile day, about 40 of which was trail riding. I slept pretty well.

From here, Humbolt, TN specifically, I'm cruising down Rt79 to Memphis. I'm not sure why, but I'm suddenly curious to wander that down, see if I can find those old blue suede shoes I lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment